Friday, May 6, 2016

Makenzi Grace is 8

Our precious Makenzi Grace is 8. 

Where oh where has the time gone? 

It seems like yesterday I was spending 30+ hours in labor trying to welcome my first baby girl into the world. 


She was immediately everything I had ever dreamed of & she terrified me. I knew how to hold her but everything else about her scared me. The first time Mama fears overwhelmed me. 

I was just talking about some of my fears earlier this week and it made me laugh thinking about it. I was terrified to change her clothes or dress her. I was scared I was going to break her. She could be breakable, you know? To a first time Mama it was awful. She just flopped when I moved her... heaven forbid I have to change her shirt over her head. 

I remember her first doctor's visit. I went by myself. I thought "I got this! It'll be easy!" They call her name "Makenzi McCants" and we walk back to the room. The nurse said "go ahead and undress her and I'll be right back to weigh her." PANIC sets in! "UNDRESS HER!!!! Naked?! Take off this shirt I just managed to get on her without breaking her? And you want me to do it FAST?" Oh my goodness... I remember taking her clothes off.... scared to death, and shaking. She was fine but I don't think my emotions were. I managed to get her undressed and the nurse comes back to weigh her. 

After the doctor examines her, she tells me they are finished and I can dress her and leave. HA! I am almost positive we left with a few of her pieces of her outfit in her diaper bag... I wasn't about to try to dress her again! What a day! First time Mama duties were rough! 

I was scared to give her a bath and cut her fingernails. I was going to break her, you guys! Seriously!! 

Needless to say, I didn't break her. She made it. She was the perfect baby. I was so blessed. She helped me learn to be a Mama and she did it so gracefully. 


She has been the joy in our lives for 8 years. I don't think she's changed a bit... maybe added a little dramatic side we didn't have when she was a baby. But still the sweetest thing and such a joy to be around. 

My sweet girl is turning 8. I can't believe. I don't want to believe it. Time slow down. 

Makenzi is the sweetest thing ever. 


She has the biggest heart. She wears her heart on her sleeve. 

She has a dramatic side. 

She cries easily.

She loves Jesus - so much! 

In 8 years, she has stayed a Mama's girl. If I am around, all is right in the world in her eyes. But she loves her Daddy, too, so much! 


She's the best big sister that ever was! 


I'm so glad I am her Mama. She made me a Mama. She taught me how to do all the Mama things and that babies really don't break. 


Makenzi Grace, I hope you have the best birthday ever! Your Daddy & I (and your sisters) love you more than you'll ever know, sweet girl! I'm so glad you were my first baby...and I am so glad I never broke you. You make me so happy when you come running towards me and jump in my arms (although it's coming when I won't be able to allow you to jump in my arms anymore - you are almost bigger than me). I love how you want me to still lay with you and read to you every night. I secretly pray that you always need me that much. I pray you continue to love the Lord fiercely. You are amazing, baby girl. Love, Mama



I feel like the last 8 years have flown by in super speed. I need them to slow down a little bit. 

I can't wait to see what God has in store for my sweet girl. He's got BIG things planned for her, I just know it. 

Happy Birthday, Makenzi Grace! 

No comments:

Post a Comment