Thursday, April 7, 2016

Samson & Delilah | | Makenzi

I have failed as a mother. 

Makenzi has never heard the story of Samson and Delilah! 

She absolutely loved it. She loved the name Delilah and I told her just wait until you hear about her. She's not really a good woman.

We read her story and she said "oh man, Mama! She wasn't a good woman, she took away his hair."

But as we got to the end of the story, Makenzi was cheering.

Judges 16:28-30
"Then Samson called to the Lord and said 'O Lord, please remember me and please strengthen me only this once, O God, that I may be avenged on the Philistines for my two eyes.' And Samson grasped the two middle pillars on which the house rested, and he leaned his weight against them, his right hand on the one and his left hand on the other. And Samson said, 'Let me die with the Philistines.' Then he bowed with all his strength and the house fell upon the lords and upon all the people who were in it. So the dead whom he killed at his death were more than those whom he had killed during his life." 

I'm telling you reading the bible is like watching the best soap opera ever. There is so much deceit, lying, just all out craziness, and then the good stuff. It is awesome.

It is a relief at times to realize we have many failures as these people back in times when they were able to really talk with God. We have a direct connection with Him through prayer, but we can't hear Him as a voice like they did back then. Yet, they still struggled to believe in His goodness. 

I love teaching Makenzi these stories. I love watching her get excited hearing these stories. I love how we discuss them as we read them. I love how she is eager to learn more.

She gets angry when we read the story about people who believe in multiple gods. She says "There is only ONE GOD, Mama. Why don't they see that?"

I pray every night that she continues to have such a love for the Lord. I want His light to shine through her so much.

We read Jezebel tonight and it made me laugh when she said "Mama, why do these girls with the prettiest names have to be the bad girls?" HAHA! She loved Delilah and loved Jezebel... up until we read the story. :-)

If you are looking for a good kids book to read, or a girl's book, I highly recommend "For Such a Time as This: Stories of Women from the Bible, Retold for Girls" by Angie Smith. We have read at least 3-4 stories out of it a night. Makenzi is even excited about bedtime because of this book.



I will try not to be such a failure as a mother anymore. We will keep on reading and she won't miss anymore wonderful stories like Samson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment