Saturday, July 23, 2016

God DOES Give You More than You Can Handle

Everyone has heard the age old saying "God doesn't give you more than you can handle," and I'm sure we've all used it to someone who is suffering as a consoling message. 

With all that I've been through this year, I've heard it quite a bit and I always smile and nod. 

However, what is really true is God never said he wouldn't give us more than we can handle. Not once! There isn't anything biblical in that statement. 

Losing a child - that's a LOT to handle. God gives you more than you can handle to see how you handle it. Do you lean on HIM or do you stray away? Do you use HIM to cope or do you use something else? Do you trust HIM to bring you through it or do you leave HIM? 

He gives us more than we can handle so that He can help us handle what we are given.

Losing a baby... losing my Grandaddy who has been the man constant in my life for 32 years... has been a lot. And I'm going to go on a limb here and say that's a lot more than I am ever prepared to handle. I'm back to square one of grieving after losing my Grandaddy and I've cried every single day - not just soft cries, I'm talking sobbing cries. I miss Emery Hope and I miss him. I never expected to live this life without either one of them (I knew eventually I'd lose my Grandaddy... I guess deep down... but wasn't prepared for it). 

So, I've experienced WAY more than anyone can handle. However, I've leaned on my Lord for it all. 2 Corinthians 1:9 states "Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves, but on God who raises the dead." God will give you more than you can handle so that HIS great power can be displayed in your life. 


In 2 Corinthians 4:17-18, Paul says "For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." You guys, Paul is trying to get us to look to the eternal weight of glory. Look to the eternal aspect... not the suffering now. Yes, it's bad... and yes, it hurts so much... but look at eternity. 

I know my heaven gets a little sweeter with each heart break I've experienced this year. As sad as I am here, and as many breakdowns as I continue to have daily... I know one thing I've got some pretty special people in heaven waiting on me. I know my baby girl is there and being well taken care of (how can someone love her more than I do - oh but Jesus can). I know my Grandaddy is there and happy and back to a new body where he has all the energy he had as a younger man. 

So, even though God will give you more than YOU can handle... He will NOT ever forsake you. He won't ever leave you. As long as you allow him in, and allow HIM to comfort you as only He can... you can get through these hard times in life. I promise you that! 

1 comment: